Saturday, October 20, 2012

2006, Aujord'hui, et Jermuk

Das Wetter ist schon kälter geworden. Ich denke an Deutschland aber das Wetter dort ist immer kalt ;) Naja, diese Woche…

Something incredible happened on Saturday, October 13. I was sitting in a café on Parpetsi street with Asqanaz and Joe, enjoying a warm fruit tea. No, that wasn’t the incredible part. These two guys and a couple girls walked around the corner, and me having the good people-watching view I had, examined them from head to toe in just a matter of a few seconds. I recognized them immediately as two of my closest friends from my summer working at AGBU's Camp Nubar. Not only had I not seen them in 6 years, since we worked together in summer 2006, but the chances were unusually sparse because Loris and Sevan are from France. The initial shock of seeing them and recognizing them was so exhilarating! I saw Loris first, and gave him a huge hug while Sevan stood behind. He thought I didn’t recognize him – I did of course, I just saw Loris first! We were both so excited to see each other (randomly) on the streets of Yerevan. I joined them (Loris’ fiancé, her sister, and another French-Armenian friend) in the Beatles Pub, where we had a few drinks and reminisced on our summer in 2006 and caught each other up on our lives, and what brings us to Armenia. I was still high on joy the following morning. Unfortunately Sevan flew back to France the next day, but I’m so glad I got to see him. Loris and I enjoyed an authentic American burger a few nights later, before he went back to France as well. Loris will be back and forth between Yerevan and Lyon, so our friendship will continue to blossom. I think those kinds of friends are the ones you’ll have your whole life.

Sevan, Ani & Loris - friends since 2006

My German lessons are going well. I really enjoy working with the students because they are enthusiastic about learning German. It is difficult for me because I am not able to explain things in Armenian. Though, I believe this is better because then the entire lesson is done in German. It may be difficult at first (as are my Armenian classes), but I think this will be a good thing in the long run. On the contrary, Armenian classes are frustrating – I would be better off with an independent study session.

This week I actually took some initiative to be a leader and organize an independent excursion. I know, the über sarcastic and cycnical Ani probably shouldn’t be in charge of anything... With the help of Simon (Syria), we planned and organized a trip to the Kechut reservoir and Jermuk. I didn’t believe how difficult the job of arranging and corralling a group of people would be, but I do now! The trip went as planned – we stopped at the Kechut Resevoir to see the star-shaped spillway. Unfortunately the water had already flown out of the reservoir because it is the middle of October, but the structure itself was really neat. And kind of scary since you can’t see to the bottom and you’re standing above a giant hole.
Star-shaped Spillway

 We continued on to Jermuk, which I now deem my favorite town in Armenia. The entrance to the town actually looked somewhat European – cutesy narrow street with shops and pretty lights. Of course the real highlight was the natural serenity of Jermuk. The fall colors were actually visible here, and gave the impression of the Alps in the fall – only in Armenia (even better!). Take a look at the pictures, though they don’t even do Jermuk justice. Jermuk is famous for its natural mineral water, which supposedly has some healing benefits. I would like to come back
and spend a week at the hotel/resort to appreciate the natural springs and therapeutic waters.
Real fall in Jermuk

We stopped at a waterfall in Jermuk along the way, which was also very beautiful. Simon & I, Oriort Ani, prepared a picnic lunch, which we ate at a church on the route back to Yerevan. Seto (Syria) and I also sang the infamous Marshrutka song. The whole trip was really nice, because we had a small group (14 people) and no forced activities. The group dynamic is really different when you don’t have a strict schedule to adhere to. And I don’t like being talked at or stuck in a large group. If the information is displayed, why should I listen to someone read it? I can read myself and go at my own pace. This trip to Jermuk was all about natural beauty and appreciation of what God has given to our homeland. I am so proud to be from this nation, the first nation in the world to adopt Christianity as its official religion.


Waterfall near Jermuk


Yeah, I've watched the presidential debates. Romney/Ryan are much better speakers, and are a major step up in intelligence from Obama/Biden (especially Biden). Conservative with pride, even if it is the less popular choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment