Saturday, September 22, 2012

Tzavet Danem...



The weather is still mighty hot here in Yerevan; a heat that can only be cured by the consumption of ice cream. Before heading to Armenian class one Thursday afternoon, a few friends and I stopped to buy some ice cream from a local vendor on the street. He noticed that we are foreigners and asked for more than 2x of what the normal price should be (He wanted 700 drams for 2 ice creams!). Of course, we aren’t stupid and didn’t end up buying from him but from the guy one street over. He sold us the two ice creams for a total of 250 drams (less than a buck!). We went back over to the jerk who tried to rip us off and told him what happened and he just started cursing at us in Armenian. Quite a memorable guy.

I witnessed my first car accident in Yerevan! Zebra stripes are relatively new here, and pedestrians are still considered inferior to the mighty auto or marshrutka. I was walking across the street when a taxi came to a slamming halt. The guy behind him didn’t realize he was stopping and swerved, but hit him anyways. I was shocked and couldn’t move for a minute! Nobody was hurt, but it was quite the scary experience. Of course I was honked at to walk so the other cars could get by. After all, it’s only a car accident.

My Armenian language skills are changing – though I’m not sure for the better or for the worse.  I have become close friends with several fellow Depi Haykers who speak Western Armenian, like I do. The challenge is however, that my Armenian language teacher refuses to accept Western Armenian as ‘Armenian’ and insists that I should forget all Western and learn Hayastanci Armenian. She is very insistent, which makes two hours seem like 6.

Yesterday, we went to Etchmiadzin on our holiday, the 21st anniversary of Armenia’s independence. Our taxi driver drove a really crappy Lada that looked like it would explode any minute. Naturally, it was hot outside and the cab was like a sauna. What’s even better is that our cab driver got pulled over by the police for speeding with 4 foreigners in the car, intrigued by the situation. We sat in the car for 20 minutes while our driver smoked his trusty cigarettes and argued with the two police with big soviet hats. Somehow he got out of paying for a ticket…bribery?

Today the marshrutka I was riding broke – Like the trunk flew open and oil was leaking from the bottom. Quel surprise. I wonder how these rickety things will work during the winter season…

New photos, check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment